Invite your family, friends and child’s playmates for a fun first birthday celebration! Play up the #1 or focus on your child’s favorite character, animal or toy.
First Birthday Fun has dozens of 1st birthday party theme ideas, including birthday princess, animal jungle, barnyard, construction and more.
Choose a location your child is comfortable in, such as your home or a familiar playground. Schedule the party for a time of day when your child is usually pleasant and keep it short (1-2 hours).
- Design invitations with a photo of your child and the caption “Look who’s turning 1!”. Or cut a large number 1 from bright colored heavy-weight paper. Write your child’s name on the front of the number and the party details (date, time and location) on the back.
- Buy festive party supplies (plates, napkins and tablecloths) to match your party theme or just choose a pretty combination of colors.
- Cut large number ones from brightly colored paper and hang around the party location with curling ribbon. Make a “Happy 1st Birthday!” banner or poster for guests to sign and add their best wishes.
- Display favorite photos of your child (from newborn pictures to current) along with stuffed animals and other cute toys.
- Decorate your child’s high chair with ribbon and streamers. Buy colorful helium balloons as decorations and then a balloon home with each child.
- Read or tell your child’s favorite story.
- Play ball roll where children sit in circle and roll a large ball to each other. Decorate a wagon with streamers and balloons and pull children for wagon rides.
- Set-up a free play area with blocks, stacking toys, and pull toys. Decorate large cardboard boxes and allow children to climb in and through boxes.
- Buy paint books that have ink printed on the page that children “paint” with water soaked brushes. ake each little guest’s hand print in plaster or clay.
- Serve animal crackers or other small cookies, bite size peanut butter & jelly or cream cheese sandwiches or applesauce
- Serve cupcakes (less messy than cake) and ice-cream cones.
- Provide additional food for the adults, such as cheese and crackers, cut fruit, raw vegetables with dip, pretzels or chips and salsa.
- Purchase beach balls, blowing bubbles, or picture books to give as party favors.